Call us on 1300 794 893

Your Money

Can I claim expat-moving expenses?

After being head-hunted to an Australian company while overseas, the company I joined does not reimburse moving expenses. Can I claim tax deductions for the moving expenses incurred by the move as work-related expenses?

The answer is not all that simple to cover fully. It’s all based on intention. Usually when the company really wants someone, they do pay for him/her or they give you the option that the job is yours, but moving expenses are your problem too. If you do accept this condition, it was your choice and therefore the Tax Office regards it as non-deductible.

That’s an accountant’s hard-nosed view, but I always recommend testing every answer you don’t like to the max. I would ask another accountant. I would call the tax office’s hotline – 13 28 61 – and explain your circumstances at least two times to see if you can get a better answer.

For advice you can trust book a complimentary first appointment with Switzer Financial Services today.

Important information: This content has been prepared without taking account of the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular individual. It does not constitute formal advice. For this reason, any individual should, before acting, consider the appropriateness of the information, having regard to the individual’s objectives, financial situation and needs and, if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice.

Related articles

Money tip #5 – tax management

Carbon tax and Gillard: I can’t get past the lie!

Tax reform is taxing

Why it’s time for voodoo economics

Last-minute tax tips

Published on: Saturday, February 12, 2011

blog comments powered by Disqus
Pixel_admin_thumb_300x300 Pixel_admin_thumb_300x300 Pixel_admin_thumb_300x300