Top 10 Facebook trends in 2012
by Keris Lahiff
It’s been a year of big news events and there's no better way to take a trip down memory lane than to examine what the top trending topics were on social networking giant Facebook.
Facebook has released their Facebook Memology 2011, a collection of data which shows the top 10 Facebook status trends for 2011 by country.
- Cyclone Yasi
- Death of Osama Bin Laden
- Victorian Floods
- Daniel Morcombe
- Charlie Sheen
- Death of Amy Winehouse
- Cadel Evans.
Globally, the top trending topics throughout the year included:
- Super bowl XLV in February
- Charlie Sheen, including trademark memes ‘winning’, ‘tiger blood’ and ‘goddesses’ in March
- Keywords ‘Libya’ and ‘Gaddafi’ surged in March, following the start of UN military operations in the region.
- Kate Middleton and Prince William were big news in April, with ‘Royal Wedding’ increasing in frequency 600-fold in the days before the wedding.
- Osama bin Laden’s death was the most talked about event on Facebook in 2011, and at the time of his death in early May, almost 10 per cent of English status updates mentioned the news.
- The trial of Casey Anthony in July
- Amy Winehouse’s death in July
- Hurricane Irene hitting the east coast of America in August
- Steve Jobs’ death in October
- The launch of videogame Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in November.
Published on: Sunday, May 08, 2011